Renard Gets 3-Year-Contract

Chipolopolo coach Herve Renard has landed a three-year contract extension following a successful outing to the Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon.

Renard, who signed an initial one-year deal after being re-hired in November last year, would now be in charge of Chipolopolo up to August 2014 when the World Cup would have been played in Brazil.

The Frenchman has been on high demand after guiding Zambia to a maiden Africa Cup of Nations title with an 8-7 penalty shoot out victory over Ivory Coast.

Sports minister Chishimba Kambwili confirmed Renard’s contract extension on Thursday.

Kambwili said Renard’s new contract was knitted by both government and FAZ in the aftermath of the Africa Cup of Nations success.

“We had a fruitful meeting with FAZ and I want to announce that very soon we are signing a three-year contract with Herve Renard that will go up to August, 2014,” Kambwili said.

“We will ensure that we give him a lucrative deal so that he is not swelled by other countries that are after him.”

Ghana and Senegal have offered Renard deals but the Frenchman, who abandoned Zambia when he guided the team to the quarterfinal in 2010, has opted to stick around.

The 43-year-old trainer is hoping to give Zambia another historic feat – a maiden World Cup place in Brazil.

Yesterday evening,  Renard was on SuperSport’s Soccer Africa alongside player of the tournament Christopher Katongo and FAZ president Kalusha Bwalya.

Bolayathu