I Entered Politics For Business-GBM

I Entered Politics For Business-GBM

DEFENCE minister and businessman Geoffrey Bwalya Mwamba says he was forced to go into active politics in order to successfully operate his businesses that were becoming difficult to run.

And Mwamba, popularly known as GBM, says only over his dead body will he ‘worship’ Post editor Fred M’membe.

During a winding interview with UK-hosted online radio station, CrossFire Blog Radio, on Tuesday evening, Mwamba, however, shied away from answering questions on how far investigations into an incident where he physically solicited for the award of a Zesco wooden pole tender for his company, on account that he was being heard by the whole world.

Mwamba said in response to the programme moderator, Mueti Moomba, who was hosting the interview together with Larry Mweetwa and a Mr Gershom, that he decided to go into politics because the previous MMD government hit his businesses hard.

“What made me start thinking going into politics was the way I was ill-treated by the previous government, namely the MMD government,” Mwamba said.
He explained that the MMD ill-treated him to a point of frustration because whenever he supplied something, it was very difficult for him to get his payments.

“So I was so much frustrated to a point that probably being in politics may only be the best thing because whatever I did outside being a politician, it couldn’t work out,” said Mwamba who is also Kasama PF member of parliament. “I had to find a way of sailing through and making my business successful…

In 2005, that is when I said probably I should go into politics because the business was becoming very difficult to operate and I could see that probably only those who were connected were the ones benefiting. So that is when I decided to join active politics.”

Mwamba confirmed that the inspiration behind his joining active politics was expanding his businesses.

“I wanted to expand so much in business. I thought I would be a businessman without politics and I vowed never to be a politician in my life but because of what I went through, this is what actually prompted me to think of going into politics,” he said. “The only people who were benefitting were only those who were somehow connected to the so-called politicians.”

But although Mwamba said politics and business made a very bad combination and that he regretted joining politics, he said that he was not ready to walk away from politics on that account as it counted less.

“I need to confirm that I am regretting to be in politics,” Mwamba said. “You see now I have so many supporters, if I had to do that maybe I will disappoint a lot of my supporters. So I regret I am in it but there is very little that I can do. I just have to forge ahead.”

Mwamba dispelled perceptions that he wanted to recoup the financial contributions he made to the PF to enable it ascend to power last year.

Mwamba, however, said it would be unfair to expect his family not to participate in business because even the financial contribution to the PF was from the same businesses and that he also therefore deserved his appointment as defence minister.

Mwamba said should there be issues of conflict of interest over his political and business involvement, he would, as an option, ask his children to shift his businesses to other countries.

“We are so intelligent to a point that whichever country we go, we make a grade, we succeed. It is not only in Zambia,” said Mwamba, adding that he was not “rich but a very, very comfortable man”.

Responding to a caller from London, identified only as Eric, on what his position on the Zesco wooden poles tender issue was, Mwamba said his family deserved to tender for any business contract in view of their business prowess.
“There was no way I was going to solicit for a contract,” Mwamba said.

“I know I have made my money, not through corruption, and my businesses are all transparent. They can be checked at any time and I am proud about that. So that Zesco contract, that is not the only contract that we have won. Why can’t they investigate other contracts that they have actually won because they have got more contracts than the contracts that we have actually won?”

Mwamba claimed his children were currently in London to buy a huge fleet of trucks because the family had ventured into transport business.

“Are you going to tell me that my children should not be awarded contracts in transportation? But when it comes to foreigners those are the people that you want to favour!” Mwamba remarked.

Asked how far the probe against him over the Zesco wooden pole tender had gone, Mwamba responded: “Unfortunately, because this is being heard across the world, I can’t respond. If it was probably within Zambia I would probably respond to that. But being a security man, I am security conscious.”

Mwamba, who described himself as a peer of the Street Boys, said he had not surrendered his official vehicle but that he only drives it when on official duties.

“I have so many cars, they are littered all over my house,” he said.
“I don’t have time to drive them.”
On his relationship with The Post, which according to the interviewer had of late, been writing negative stories about him, Mwamba retorted: “My God!” He said M’membe only wants those people that worshipped him.

“The Post Newspaper, my relationship with Fred M’membe? My God! You see, Fred M’membe only wants those people that will worship him, which I will not do, over my dead body,” said Mwamba. “If he thinks he can actually start debating of who should be the president in this country, this time he has got it all wrong.

Everyone knows about his tricks. We understand his motives and unfortunately we shall not allow him and whatever he is doing, we are watching him very closely. We shall not allow him as Zambians. We know what his game plan is.”

The Post

72 Responses to "I Entered Politics For Business-GBM"

1. Mushkarano!!   October 18, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Business na Politics fyalipusa Tata..

2. KALULETE   October 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm

copied from todays POST

3. mixed blessings   October 18, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Ahhh aziulula no further ivestigations required!

4. Mushkarano!!   October 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Nice car..

• Thief Justice   October 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I agree!!

5. isaac   October 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm

What he meant was, he joined politics to protect his bisinessesnot not the other way round.

• Ibu   October 19, 2012 at 1:00 pm

You’ve missed the point.

6. SUPPOTER   October 18, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Ba Mwamba muli ba Mano Tata. Very intelligent. Surely GOD is with u. HE will always see u through. Continue working hard Papa.

7. Badger   October 18, 2012 at 4:48 pm

What people need to understand i think is that this man is a business man and has been dealing with grz for ages and that his being minister will not stop him from doing what he does best! business! He may have expressed himself improperly but the point is that he was squeezed by the MMD because they knew he was the muscle behind HE MCS, but it came to pass and it injured him. He can now freely tender like everybody else and get his payments on time like it should be provided it be within the confines of the law.. He calls a spade a spade! Go GBM expand that empire! you are my man!

• GBM   October 18, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Nindalama sha ba noko?

8. Chibesa   October 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm

nice ride!!!!

9. Shameless   October 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm

GBM is right and all success oriented, well meaning Zambians must support him. Why should we ‘kill’ our local investors all in the name of politics? Should GBM seize to be a businessman with an entrepreneural and canning mind? God forbid.
    A foreign firm doing exactly what GBM did is called creativity, but when it comes to our own son, we call for his blood.
    Shame on you GBM’s enemies.

10. Pa zed   October 18, 2012 at 5:01 pm

GBM is hardworking. He started his Business with just buying beans in Munkonge village in Kasama and sell the beans in Lusaka. He knows how he has fought all his Life that is why he is able to talk about it so openly. Go on GBM!!

• Wanyafye FC   October 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Your comment on how he made money is very motivating but it should be limited to private funds, not public money.

11. TIGER RELOADED   October 18, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Mr mwamba God will always protect you from haters…just ignore them and continue working hard..imwe business is a blessing and no one will take it away from you

12. martin petauke   October 18, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Infact we need to localised our bussinesses because WE LOCALISE THE MONEY, GBM and winter are my ICON i like his frankness the man has told us that there is no way bussiness and politics can be separated THATS Y MMD had to pin him, even in america thats normal I was there for 10 years,If we can have 20 GBMS AND winters our country can develop we need them in transport,agriculture and oil which will soon became a problem in the country,the playing field is now open even for any Zambian,lets focus on development now and keep it up guys employ your fellow zambians,be accountable and transperent.

13. Wanyafye FC   October 18, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Only Old Man Munkombwe’s foolish but honest statement made a few years ago that “you have to join a party where you can personally benefit” can equal this one we have heard today. Foolishly honest.

14. Wanyafye FC   October 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm

“I entered teaching career to sleep with students” How is that?

• King Musula Wenu   October 18, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Then you were demonking students before you became a teacher, Hahahahahha kekekekekeke,

• me   October 19, 2012 at 9:25 am

Thats just wrong……..The two are not even related. Who said bussiness is the same as sex with your students!

• Wanyafye FC   October 19, 2012 at 9:57 am

The motives/intentions are the same. Will your children be safe with me as their teacher with such a mindset?
        The problem in Zambia is that we glorify wrongdoers as heroes. Politics is about service not making money for your companies.

• Beeg   October 19, 2012 at 2:36 pm

My friend of all the comments so far, yours is the most shallow, every one makes money for a living and not living to make money..

15. Wanu Ngwee   October 18, 2012 at 6:06 pm

How do we end up with such dull politicians as ministers? This man does totally not understand that the only legitimate purpose for anyone to enter politics is to offer more credible and effective ways of improving governance and service delivery to the masses, and NOT TO BETTER ONE’S BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES. What GBM is telling us not is that he is now BETTER CONNECTED NOW FOR HIS BUSINESSES TO DO BETTER THAN HE WAS DURING THE MMD RULE!! AWE MWANDI, IT SUCKS!!

• cassy   October 19, 2012 at 9:29 am

Atleast he is honest. How many politicians are in politics for the right reasons????? Kalilo…. period!

16. Wanu Ngwee   October 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm

SORRY: Should have read; “….What GBM is telling us IS THAT ….”

17. Catgun   October 18, 2012 at 6:09 pm

It is true i have come tu believe that membe wants tu control zambias desyiny,mr membe sir u supported us during our campaigns we appreciate .we know our president can detect whos corrupt ,we trust in his abilities he is going tu deliver without ur help.

• Kantanshi Man   October 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I agree with you my bro!

18. Henry   October 18, 2012 at 6:41 pm

GBM continue working hard. There’s nothing wrong to do bussiness, despite being a minister, we know GBM is hard working. God bless you Mr.Mwamba. Ba Meembe, the way you wrote the all story can tell something a lot I’ appeal Mr.Mwamba and Mr.Meembe reconcile you are brothers. Its not good to start seeing all this.

19. fury   October 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm

why arent you all muppets comentin on his response 2 membe. we are always telling you that membe is divisive and has a propaganda. he never personaly likd rb, the same is tru of hh and today yo kaponya idol (gbm) has confirmed it. If it were hh expozd in such bad faith, u wud have bin all over bashing an inocent man forgeting the devil creating the mess & riding on yo inocent and ignorant minds. ths is the devil that i want you muppets on ths blog to bash, who is found along bwinjifumu-styopets.

20. Bachufi   October 18, 2012 at 7:35 pm

U’ve told us & we now kno that u enterd politics to do busnes & not to serve pipo. U ar an emberacement to all those hu voted 4 u hoping u’ll perfom yo duties as an Mp meanwhile busnes was yo only aim on yo campaighn. Shame on Uuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!.

• kunda   October 19, 2012 at 9:37 am

If he told you he did it for the people would you believe it?????? i bet not…

You are told the truth and its still a problem.

He is killing two birds with one stone because his job requires him to serve people and he can also do his bussiness. Please lets be real!

How many intellegent people in this day and age depend on their jobs only.

21. demba ba   October 18, 2012 at 7:50 pm

INSIMBI NINSHIMBI that what GBM is.

22. jube   October 18, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Good one. I also entered teaching to screw pupils. Am making big holes big time. Your comment?

23. Momo   October 18, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Mmembe is so jealous of successful GBM and HH, he ll not manage to bring them down coz their bussineses are not dubious

24. Tks   October 18, 2012 at 9:09 pm

The big guys in zambia
    Rajan mahtan
    Hensen sindowe
    HH
    Costain chilala
    GBM
    Enock kavindile
    Lawrence sukutwa
    Charles milupi

25. simuchimbaeneli eneli   October 18, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Its not only GBM who is doing business in the government we no Kabimba is a tiny dot character same as Membe the man i respected is connected to the ACC who does n`t no that these are friends and not friends to GBM.So they can only be on the side of Membe the owner of compromised Post newspaper.
    For more the entire post management are in the Government so as at now Zambia is not doing fine as we expected open your eyes.PF members.

26. MAHETA TRANSPORT P.O BOX HAMUNILULE NAS...   October 18, 2012 at 10:04 pm

CONGRATULATIONS BA MWAMBA I ALSO JOINED POLICE SERVICE WITH 2REASON’1’TO HAVE A GUN FOR STRINGING EASY & HELP MY FRIENDS WHO DO THAT EVERYDAY.’2’TO DRIVE WITHOUT A DRIVING LICENCE.WITHOUT RESPECTING,THE ROAD — USE AM FROM KITWE.

• Beeg   October 19, 2012 at 2:53 pm

were u ever doing that before you became a police officer? I bet not besides u didnt even own a car or a bike fo that matter… u only entered the police service because u were broke and didnt have any options…. styopet

27. okinawa   October 18, 2012 at 10:12 pm

so membe want Winter to succeed Sata …
    leave gbm alone!
    membe go to batrose ci**la ca**so!

28. Mpalapanyo   October 18, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Ba GBM nalimitemwa nomba pakumfwa ati mwaingilile muma politics pa mulandu wa makwebo yenu,without showing any interest in serving pipo?apa pena mwamfunyamo!nga mwachikumyako naku bombela abekala chalo.

29. Joe - Lundazi.   October 18, 2012 at 10:33 pm

It is just sad hearing such a statement from a senior states man. May it could be compromised literacy levels, he is just business minded. Lets understand him.

30. ayoba   October 18, 2012 at 11:37 pm

And here I was thinking leaders are there to serve people. When I hear such reasons as advanced by GBM for seeking being a leader in government, I weep for our country. If very very comfortable people like GBM are in it for boosting their business, what about those who joined politics as paupers? I shudder to imagine.

31. Narrant   October 19, 2012 at 5:13 am

Makes very sad reading. No mention of service to the people. Just to nuclear family.

• Wanyafye FC   October 19, 2012 at 10:02 am

Agreed. And that is the tragedy of Zambian politics. What is the difference with RB?

32. Mpalapanyo   October 19, 2012 at 7:00 am

Awe mwandini yama seriour,ifwe fwe bekala chalo tabakwete naifwe inchito koma amakwebo yabo.awe ba mudala wesu,lombeni ubwelelo kuli ifwe fwe bantu benu nagu musose kofye ukuti mwalichepelwa ne fyakusosa.otherwise am disapointed as your supporter.

33. Kasama resident   October 19, 2012 at 9:13 am

We r very unhappy!Winter is a fool and ka Fred is an idiot.The post newspaper thinks what ever they write is true gospel.We now know u.Lets wait for Sata to come.We will take you on.HEAD to HEAD.You cnt control us!Levy did it.Sata will do it.We will convince him how you paper has bcome unpopular.Zambian r not dull.Kasama pipo are not dull.Time for post to go down as come!If sata wont listen to us.U r both going down politically.GBM’s Support from Kasama.

34. Rihannah   October 19, 2012 at 9:54 am

Just resign GBM, what are waiting for foolish man, you became rich after your first wife died in an accident together with her mum, brother and your two children, buried at old Leopard Hills. They were hit by a truck in Kitwe in the play park where they were having a picknick. Thats when your business boomed.

35. gayman   October 19, 2012 at 10:40 am

With all that money, surely he can afford the most expensive gym in the world. That weight is really scary and i hope he knows this. poor wife

36. Napapa   October 19, 2012 at 10:43 am

His days are numbered with that weight!

37. Zambian Enterprenuer   October 19, 2012 at 10:44 am

No one is argueing the fact that GBM is a Business man what people are not understanding is when you are a business man even if you are not a minister soliciting for a contract to be award to you simply because you know some one is what we call corruption,GBM could have bid for the tender and allowed the people awarding the contract to award his companies on merit unlike what he did going to ZESCO personally to solicit for the contract that is corruption and that is what has put him into trouble,can you imagine a country where all contracts are given to politician business men supply because they have connections that would affect the economy as other companies with the ability to deliver would not be having business simply because they have no connection in government.

• Wanyafye FC   October 19, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Sense!

• Wanyafye FC   October 19, 2012 at 2:01 pm

You have hit the nail on the head.

38. Zambian Enterprenuer   October 19, 2012 at 11:02 am

Kasama people are fools ,someone mentions that he got into politics and parliament simply to revamp his business and you are busy condemning an innocent Post newspaper what has the post and Fred M got to do with the corrupt practices of GBM you guys are so illiterate you lack esikulu(school)makamak you Kasama Resident that’s what we call blind following total caderlism the person openly tells you that he has no interest to serve you people who put him into Parliament and government but to enrich himself more and you are busy smiling like a chainama patient.As a country we need people that will go into government to serve other not to step on peoples heads as stepping stones in the aim of getting richer,we removed MMD for the some reason and if our President does not remove GBM he risks the popularity of himself and the PF.GBM is full of himself and has no leadership qualities,he is always btaking about his money like he runs the world,busy ukuyufwa ati my children are in UK buying a large fleet of trucks right now coz i am a business man,to hell with his corrupt money,we respect people like Bill GATES who share their money with the poor not just bragging about how rich they are atasa ma rubbish yakantu,and i can tell you that his days are numbered our President i am confident will not tolerate GBMs non-sense soon he will be sucked just watch.

39. Nipples   October 19, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Its sad reading some of the comments. Cant people be sensible in there deliberations and be constructive. I believe whoever comments is above 18 and acting like a chicken on such foras is not right. Go to play house and show ur stupidity.

I am agreeing with all who support GBM, am not frm kasama but I feel some peoples hate for others success is devilish. Whats wrong with him soliciting for the contract in question. If he has what qualifies him to get it, then let him be given. GBM is just a hard working and sharp guy who is very keen to amass enough wealth for his family. which is ultimately each ones goal.

And those pursuing him, re they clean themselves.
    Jealousy is fatal.

40. Culture   October 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Zambian enterprenuer. Yo comment is full of wisdom. That is the bigest problem in zambia,it is full of blind followers. Instead of condeming wrong doers they praise them. It is sad to mother zambia 4 such foolish minister (GBM) who can talk ma rubish in boldness & stil being supoted by blind folowers.

41. BAD BIFF   October 19, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Mulekeni chik++++ anonke. Nizanu ndalama.

42. naphtali   October 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm

This can only happen in zambia.There’s conflict of interest already.Mr Mwamba should resign on moral grounds,i like him personally but face it people he is not acting in the best interest of zambians but himself and his relatives.That my OPINION

43. Pelekelo   October 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I think there is nothing wrong with doing business. What is problematic is doing it corruptly. Lets differentiate the two. And if his clean, why not explain the role he played and leave the rest to Zambians to judge? Why cleanse himself on the political alter? I smell a rat becoz someone is desperate to cleanse himself, lets exercise humility and no Zambian is interested in knowing the number of cars he has, coz that’s not the issue here..

44. ayoba   October 19, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Some people are missing the point here. We are not saying he should not do his business but the fact that he decided to venture into politics which should morally be about people’s welfare, his comments make sad reading. That is an immoral statement because the people of Kasama trusted their community’s development to be fostered by person they chose as leader. For the drama between him, WK and Fred, its not of my personal interest as my concern is that such uncaring and unethical words came out of someone we call a leader. Come on people, let’s be logical about some of these comments leaders make and not just talk for the sake of talking. Think of that old grandpa or grandma who stood in queue to vote for GBM and today to be told they were duped as the man is their only for his business escapades? In all fairness

45. Umulumendo   October 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I LIKE THIS “I have so many cars, they are littered all over my house.” NICE RIDE GBM…LOL

46. Narrant   October 19, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I would never, ever vote for a man with such psychology.

47. The OG   October 19, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Greedy Fat Fuck

48. Lic powers   October 19, 2012 at 4:40 pm

GBM is so sharp in the head,Viva GBM Viva Big Brain,shame on your enemies.

49. Real Buffalo   October 20, 2012 at 7:55 pm

GBM IS RIGHT.HE HAS SPOKEN THE TRUTH THAT HE JOINED POLITICS BECA– USE HE WANTED TO MAKE MONEY IN A BIG WAY.THATS WHAT MOST THE POLITICIAN JOIN POLITICS. ITS NOT TO SERVE US BUT THEMSELVES.PRETENDING IS NOT GOOD BANE!

50. Tula Twabane   October 20, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Mwandi GBM mudala wisakamana, just become Zambia’s President for business reasons, to make yourself and your children even more prosperous!