The Lusaka Apex Medical University will now be offering bachelor of Dental surgery starting July 2015 intake.
The Lusaka Apex Medical University will contribute to the global supply of highly qualified health professionals with emphasis on Zambia and Southern Africa.
The Lusaka Apex Medical University is a Centre of Excellence in Medical, Nursing and Health Sciences Education, Research and Specialised Clinical Care.
a) To provide an alternate route for health and medical education for those young men and women who want to become doctors/ medical specialists and other health professionals but have not been given the opportunity to do so due to limited places in the national University of Zambia Medical School and other health institutions in Zambia and the region.
b) To provide quality research work in the medical field to support the country’s fight against the double burden of diseases:
- Communicable diseases, such as malaria, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and
- Non-communicable diseases, such as hypertension and diabetes, which are becoming prevalent on the African Continent.
c) To work with the private sector and other public institutions to strategise and rationalise the health sector in Zambia, such that the country extracts as much benefit from both the human resource and non-human resources available in the country.
ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES OFFERED
1.Pre-Medical Programme, 2 years
The objective for the Pre-medical programme is to provide high quality tuition to students for the A – Level (London Edexcel Syllabus) examinations. The programme aims to prepare students who aspire to do Medicine, Dental Surgery, Pharmacy, Nursing, Biomedical, Environmental Health, Radiology, Physiotherapy and Anaesthesia degree programmes with LAMU. (Refer to the Pre-Medical brochure).
2.Medical Degree Programmes
- Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery [MBChB], 5 years.
3.Pharmacy Degree Programme
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy [BSc Pharm], 4 years.
4.Nursing Degree Programmes:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN): direct entry, 4 years; in-service, 3years.
- Bachelor of Science in Midwifery;3years.
- Health Sciences Degree Programmes, 4 years.
- Bachelor of Science in Biomedical [BSc Biomed]
- Bachelor of Science in Anaesthesia [BSc Anaesth]
- Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy [BSc Physio]
- Bachelor of Science in Radiography [BSc Rad]
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health [BSc Env H]
- Public Health
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Pharmacy Technology
- Environmental Health
- Clinical Medical Sciences
- Dental Technology
- Oral Health Therapy
- Medical Licentiate
- Theatre Nursing