Two juveniles have appeared in the Lusaka Magistrate’s Court for allegedly stabbing to death a patron at JCS bar in Longacres, Lusaka.
Early last month, pictures of the two boys aged 16 and 18 went viral on social media after police arrested them for allegedly stabbing Sebastian Lungu, 20, after a quarrel.
Mr Lungu is alleged to have died of stab wounds in the neck. He is reported to have died on the way to hospital where he was rushed to by a ‘Good Samaritan’.
Yesterday, the juvenile offenders appeared before Lusaka Magistrate Ruth Kapulo for the explanation of a murder charge levelled against them over the death of Mr Lungu. It is alleged that on April 6 this year, the juvenile offenders, of Kabangwe and Kalingalinga, murdered Sebastian Lungu of Mtendere East in Lusaka.
After the charge was read out to them, the boys told the court that they understood it.
Magistrate Kapulo told the juvenile offenders that they were only appearing before her for explanation of the charge because she has no powers to try a murder case.
She said the two will continue to appear before her until she receives instructions from State chambers either to take the matter to the High Court for trial or release them. “Every after 14 days, you will be coming here for mention awaiting instructions from State chambers. The docket is supposed to be taken to the DPP (Director of Public Prosecutions) for instructions (on whether to take the matter to the High Court or otherwise),” Ms Kapulo said.
The juvenile offenders’ guardians were in the gallery following the proceedings. The matter was adjourned to May 27 this year for mention.
One of the teenage suspects is a student while the other is scheduled to rewrite his Grade 12 examinations. The two will remain in custody until the matter is concluded since murder is an unbailable offence.